Who doesn’t like muffins? Who doesn’t like sausage? Well, besides vegetarians…I love both, obviously. I am always trying to think of something fast and easy to make for my almost-two-year old. These cupcakes will make a perfect packed lunch and quick snack at home this week.
4 1/2 cups almond meal
1 tsp aluminum free baking soda (like Bob’s Red Mill)
1 tsp sea salt
5 eggs (I use regular Omega-3 “free range” eggs to save some dollars. I try to enjoy the tastier pastured eggs sunny side up!)
2 TBS honey
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 lb pork sausage, outside of skins (do this by taking a knife down the length of the sausage and pulling the meat out)
Coconut or olive oil spray
1 tsp coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Prepare cupcake pans with liners or silicone baking cups. Spray each cup lightly with coconut oil spray.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium pan and add sausage cooking thoroughly, breaking up into bite size pieces with a spoon.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the almond meal, baking soda and salt, mix thoroughly with a fork. I was feeling lazy tonight so instead of getting out a separate bowl for the wet ingredients I just created a pit inside the bowl with the almond flour, like so:
- Add the eggs, honey, and apple cider vinegar to the almond meal pit. Whisk with a fork. Don’t worry if a little almond meal prematurely mixes with your eggs. Once the eggs are mixed just stir it all together with the fork. Set aside.
- Using a big soup spoon, put a heaping scoop of the almond meal mixture into each cupcake holder, about 3/4 of the way full. Add two-three bite size pieces of sausage to each cupcake and press down.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Bam! I had to try one before I took this next picture. Oops.
$8 for 1 lb pork sausage
$3.99 for almond meal at Trader Joe’s
$2 for eggs (guestimate)
The other stuff I’m assuming you have on hand.
Total = $13.99 for at least two lunches (I won’t bore him with the same lunch every day) and several after school/work snacks for all of us.
Eat and enjoy!
I shared this post on Food Renegade’s Fight Back Friday June 1st, 2012.